EL03 and EL04

MCB Resources main sources of historic data are;

Memoir 16: The Geology and Mineral Resources of Bougainville and Buka Islands, Papua New Guinea, Rogerson, R.J., Hilyard, D.B., Finlayson, E.J., Johnson, R.W. and McKee, C.O., 1989 (Geological Survey of PNG.)

MCB has obtained a copy of the original sample files from the field survey conducted by the Geological Survey of Papua New Guinea (GSPNG) led by Dr Rick Rogerson that was included in the Memoir 16 publication of 1989. This volume was the last and most complete study of geology undertaken for the whole of Bougainville and Buka Islands.

The study incorporated findings from a prior and associated airborne geophysical survey (below) conducted on behalf of the GSPNG by The Federal Institute for Geosciences and Natural Resources, Federal Republic of Germany (FIGNR). The survey recorded Magnetics, Electromagnetics and Radiometrics (K, TH, U). The survey commenced in 1986 with follow-up groundwork completed in 1988 and 1989 and the report was completed in 1990. As previously reported, this geophysics only covers approximately 20% of the Exploration Licence area providing huge upside potential for a detailed survey of the remaining 80%.

Report No. 3, Interpretation of Aerogeophysical data and followup Aerogeophysical anomalies on the island of Bougainville, Papua New Guinea, text volume and Appendix I. Dr D. Bering, Prof. Dr W. Bosum, Dr K. Busch, F. Plattetschlager, Dr D. Rammlmair, Dr R. Robling, B. Stroheker, R. Sumaiang, 1990. (Federal Institute for Geosciences and Natural Resources, Federal Republic of Germany.)

In addition to this source, a copy of a field report (detailed below) conducted in the Rarie’ Puspa district of the Tore region as part of a Master of Geology course from the University of Papua New Guinea and supervised by staff of The Geology Department University of Leicester, U.K., was supplied to the Company by Toremana. This work included rock chip sampling of a number of traverse lines for whole rock, petrographic and chemical analysis. Although the report does not specify the grade analysis for individual samples, several occurrences of chalcopyrite (CuS2), Bornite (Cu5FeS4) and Malachite (Cu2CO3(OH)2) were mentioned with GPS coordinates and other sites of interest (brecciation, epithermal veining) are within the body of work with coordinates.

Report for the Fourth Field Trip for the North Bougainville Collaborative Research Project, 13th February to 07th March 2012, Version 2. Tsiperau, C.U., 2012 (Unpublished).

Figure 1: Gold results, after Rogerson (1989)


Rogerson (1989) identified a +370km2 zone of anomalous Au, Cu, As and Hg that was named the ”Upper Ramazon Anomalous Zone” named after the main access river to the area (Rogerson 1989 Au/Cu Anomaly Contour). Within this zone, sampling has identified areas of interest for initial programmes at Melilup – Wasinobis, Melilup – Petspets and Rarie’/Puspa for gold.

Figure. 2 Copper Results after Rogerson (1989)


Rogerson noted in the report that potential exists for multiple deposits in the north and up to seven different styles of mineralisation were identified, although these seven styles can be broadly grouped into three:

  1. Porphyry Cu, Au;
  2. Epithermal veining (including polymetallic veins and Au); and
  3. Volcanogenic Massive Sulphides (VMS)

Similarly, within the Upper Ramazon Anomalous Zone sampling has identified areas of interest for the initial copper exploration programmes at Melilup – Topis and Tore – Kunua.

Tsiperau’s work concentrated on sampling the Diorite, Granodiorite, Monzonite Intrusives at Rarie’ Puspa (similar geology to the intrusives at Panguna) and the results of her work have further enhanced this location.